Adult High School Diploma

 It is never too late to graduate!

Your Diploma is closer than you think and we will help you every step of the way!


What is the Adult High School Diploma Program?

Course work in our program is done by independent study, so that you can complete assignments from your home or  library or any place that you find convenient. You come to school and meet with your teacher once a week to turn in your work and pick up more work. At the end of every chapter and/or unit, you take a test, earning credits with a passing grade. When all the graduation requirements are met Morgan Hill Community Adult School will award your High School Diploma which you can use for employment and continuing education purposes.

Is MHCAS an Accredited High School?

Morgan Hill Community Adult School is Fully Accredited by the (WASC) Western Association of Schools and Colleges. All credits earned at MHCAS are accepted by other K-12 schools, Colleges, Universities, the Military and Employers. The military may have restrictions on the number of credits earned in an independent studies program.

How Long Will It Take To Complete The Program?

The student’s ability to complete the program and receive the high school diploma will depend upon how many credits must be completed and how consistently the student participates in the program and completes the required assignments. Highly motivated students with a relatively small number of credits to complete will be able to complete the program in less time; but some students take several years to finish the program and receive their accredited high school diploma. Most students should be able to complete a 5-credit course in 4-6 weeks. Students who do not complete the program within the school year will need to re-enroll for the following year if they wish to continue the program. 

Due to the pace of the diploma program, a student would usually have 100-120 credits earned already (or conversely 60-80 left to earn) before going into the diploma program.  This is only a recommendation and not a requirement.  

Graduation Requirements

The diploma requires successful completion of 180 units of credit, including at least 10 units earned in residence in the Community Adult School program. Units of credit in specified subjects and electives include:

  • English                                                                  30 credits
  • Electives                                                                60 credits
  • Foreign Language/Fine Arts                          10 credits
  • Economics                                                            5 credits
  • Government/Civics                                           5 credits
  • US History                                                            10 credits
  • World History                                                     10 credits
  • Science                                                                  20 credits
  • Algebra 1                                                              10 credits
  • Math                                                                       20 credits

How To Register

To register for the Adult High School Diploma program, you will need to submit:

  • A completed Adult High School Diploma Application Packet
  • A sealed official transcript from the last high school or adult school that you attended. If you attended more than one school, you will need to make sure that the official transcript includes all high school credit that you have earned (if not, you may have to submit several transcripts). 
  • All entering students will take the state-mandated CASAS tests before being placed in a class.

Concurrent High School Students

Our school is able to accept a limited number of students from district high schools for Adult Independent Study. Enrollment in our classes enables high school students to obtain credits in order to graduate from high school on time.

  • Students must be enrolled at a district high school and attending the school full time.  Concurrent students take one class at a time and may obtain no more than 20 credits in one school year at the Adult School.
  • Priority is given to seniors.  However, we are able to accept juniors when we have space available, but no earlier than the third quarter of junior year.
  • Students must obtain the approval of a high school counselor, who must sign the Concurrent Student Referral Form. The student and a parent or guardian must also sign this form.
  • Students must also submit the Adult High School Diploma Application Packet.

Diplomas & Transcripts

Diplomas are awarded in December for students who complete all requirements between July  and December. Diplomas are issued in June for students who complete requirements between January and June.  There is a graduation ceremony that takes place in June for students who graduate from MH Community Adult School at any point during the academic year.  

For copies of transcripts, contact the office at (408) 201-6520. The fee for an official, sealed copy of a transcript is $5.